Fun Facts: New Jersey's Fun & Games
New Jersey has a history of firsts in fun that paved the way for its current array of sports teams and leisure activities, from one end of the State to the other. These firsts span hundreds of years and contribute to our rich cultural history; they are proof that New Jersey has earned its reputation for fun, and has always been a remarkable place to live!
- The first organized baseball game took place in Hoboken in 1846.
- In 1943, due to restrictions on travel related to World War II, the New York Yankees baseball team held spring training in Asbury Park instead of Florida.
- The first pro basketball game was played in Trenton in 1896.
- The first college football game was hosted in 1869 in New Brunswick.
- There are more horses per square mile here than in any other state, and Gladstone is home to the U.S. Equestrian Team.
- The properties on the game board of the U.S. version of Monopoly are all named for streets in Atlantic City.
- Richard Hollingshead, Jr., opened the very first drive-in movie theater in 1933 just outside of Camden.
- The first brewery in America was established in Hoboken way back in 1642.
- Cape May is the oldest seashore resort in the U.S.
- The first national historic park in America was established in 1933 in Morristown.
- Crafters will be interested to know that Elsie the cow and Elmer (think Elmer’s glue brand) are actual cows from Plainsboro.
- Bart Simpson’s prank calls to Moe’s Tavern have been attributed by some to a series of popular prank calls made to the Tube Bar in Jersey City in the mid-1970’s.
New Jersey can point to many examples of leading the way in sports, seaside relaxation and pop culture, fostering fun that has spread across the country and become a part of our American culture. It’s no wonder so many people choose make New Jersey home. Living here means having plenty of enjoyable things do and plenty of people to do them with.